View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
FlyingKat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Taco Rocket Operator

Originally Posted by mloub View Post
I'm not a Pilot, but I have an interest in Pinnacle.

I've seen several people mention that reducing the certificates to one from the current 3 - or two that management has proposed - will save on training costs. I am having trouble understanding why that is though. Wouldn't training costs be a factor of folks moving from one aircraft type to another, regardless of what certificate those aircraft are on?

Or are SOP slightly different from certificate to certificate requiring training above and beyond what you would expect just for the aircraft switch?

I realize this is an amateurish question, but hey, when it comes to the industry I'm an amateur.

M.
As far as the FAA is concerned, you might as well be moving from Delta to United when you are switching certificates. They see a different certificate as a completely seperate airline, even though it is owned by the same company. Each individual airline has to have certain positions mandated by the FAA and they cannot be cross utilized, even if both certificates are owned by the same company. For pilots and flight attendants, that means they have to go through the entire new hire process just like they never worked for the company when switching certificates. This means a 12 week training evolution as compared to a 4 or 6 week evolution for normal transition training on the same certificate.