Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Golden Bear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Skeptical

Originally Posted by Eck4Life View Post
All this probably from the same FSDO (Hillsboro) that used to (may still) rubber stamp line captains' CFI renewal by saying they were giving 'training' to FO's during scheduled ops. Despite the fact that said captains hadn't participated in any sort of CFI renewal course and said FO's were among the most seasoned in the regional industry. All they had to do was show their company ID, licenses, and logbook as I recall. I don't remember any section of the FARs laying it out quite that way...
Slight digression, but just to clarify: many (but not all) FSDOs will renew a Part 121 or 135 PIC's CFI based not on training but on the "regular evaluation of pilots" clause of 61.197:

(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(1) Passing a practical test for—

(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or

(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or

(2) Submitting a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following renewal requirements—

(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least 5 students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt.

(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots.

(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.

(iv) A record showing that, within the preceding 12 months from the month of application, the flight instructor passed an official U.S. Armed Forces military instructor pilot proficiency check.
At my airline it is specifically dictated in our FOM that one of the responsibilities of the PIC is to mentor the F/O and facilitate their eventual movement to a command position, and we are also afforded the means to evaluate the F/Os we fly with should we be asked or feel compelled, for whatever reason.

Your airline does not have to have its operations based within the region of a certain FSDO for this to apply, just find one that does this and make an appointment. I know for a fact that ORD and OAK renew this way.

But yes, it is insane that not all FSDOs interpret this (or any other reg) in a consistent manner, and yes the QX fine is absurd and counterproductive to encouraging flight safety.