View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 AM
MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Out of Regional Jet flying

A quote from “The last lecture” by Randy Pausch (10/23/60 – 07/25/08)
“But remember, the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”
I think Sky has a valid message for some who are considering or currently in the aviation career field. For many, the income and benefits are their brick walls.
For me, Sky’s message is slanted too much towards the income side of the equation. I respect his opinion but I also consider the brick wall too high for him to climb.
I’m a regional FO… bottom of the barrel you might say. The job is gratifying and the pay sucks. Regardless, I have managed to maintain aircraft ownership and am teaching my 15 yr old son to fly. We have a “well off” attorney that flies into our local airport in his half a million dollar Cirrus. He can’t fly worth a sh*t. He consistently bounces or lands on the nose gear. Upon shut down, he jumps out of his pristine bird with the leather jacket and Ray Bans. I would rather be the low income guy teaching his son to be a real aviator than the poser who’s really just a “wanna be”. Money isn’t everything…