View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 AM
satpak77
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Just my two cents, but this thread is getting weaker and weaker. In summary

1. Attractive, stable, well-paying [airline/corporate] jobs are hard to come by, argubaly harder now than anytime in history. Insert into brackets your choice of any career in today's economic climate. American has hundreds of law school grads, with fresh law degrees (and 100K+ debt), mixing expressos at Starbucks because nobody is hiring attorneys with no experience. Sound familiar ?

2. Some folks in "the hunt" for that job described above have chose to leave aviation for their own reasons.

3. Some folks continue the hunt. Whether your do #2 or #3 is a tactical strategic decision left to the individual. Your decision may or may not impact #5 below. At some point you reach the PONR Point of No Return in other words 55 year old RJ captain can't just go to school and become an IT manager. A 38 year old can. Etc. The individual will have to assess this. Me personally I believe the PONR age is 40-45. Once past those ages, your chance at re-invention is lessened greatly.

4. There is another life and world besides the airplane cockpit. Other careers exist. Whether those careers are pursued is a personal choice left to the individual

5. Life is not "fair". Nobody that I know was given a "guarantee for fair life" certificate at birth. Just ask malnourished children born into famine in Africa. Then rebels whack their arms and legs off and leave them to bleed out and die. Ask them how life is treating them. Makes our b1tching about "SWA hasn't hired me yet" and/or "FedEx is a military good ole boys club" and/or "the check airman at ABC company has an axe to grind" seem kind of trivial, no ?

Done, end of story

Last edited by satpak77; 12-17-2011 at 09:37 AM.