Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by jtfly View Post
Hey everyone-

I am looking for advice on a situation I am in regarding my vision. I have wanted to be an airline pilot my entire life. I'm 25 now and there is a University a couple hours from me that has an excellent flight science program that I want to apply for. The only thing that's holding me back is my vision. I am very near sighted and have red/green color blindness. My vision corrects to 20/20, thought I have a slight astigmatism that makes it borderline for me to pass the 20/20 chart at the eye doctor's. Not to mention, my contact prescription in each eye is -10. Would that matter as long as I can correct to 20/20? I have also read it's possible to have an FAA medical doctor accompany you on a light gun display at a tower in order to bypass color testing when going for a class 1 medical certification. A letter of evidence I believe it's called. If anyone can tell me their experience with this and if it's worth it for me to try and go for this I'd really appreciate it.
Do a search using color vision in the box for thread titles.
Practically ALL of the answers that you are looking for can be found in those multiple threads.

USMCFLYR