Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Technically, as long as you correct to 20/20 there is no FAA limit on the prescription. But -10 is HUGE...mine is -1.25

My concern would be long term. With that much refractive error and being borderline to see 20/20 at age 25 you might be challenged to maintain your medical certification as you get older. It's true that you can get a waiver if you can't quite see 20/20 in just one eye, but some employers don't like medical waivers. Also I'm 99% sure that you still have to see 20/20 with both eyes together.

The only pay-off in this career (if there is one) comes after all your hair is either grey or gone. I would not recommend spending time and money and paying years of dues if you know going in that you might get sidelined down the road.

The color vision thing is another challenge entirely. It used to be that you could get a definitive answer one way or another up front, and if you passed that test you would be good for the rest of your career. But things are changing, and you may have to re-certify periodically. Again, it's not going to get better with age and might get worse.

Ultimately it's your call, but we are not just talking about your dream...your financial future is at stake too.
What have you read that involves testing periodically if you pass the flight color vision test? My paperwork states that I don't have to take the color vision test again and it isn't for a limited amount of time like my SIs.

USMCFLYR