Thread: JFK Life
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
TipsyMcStagger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by cfiguy11 View Post
so apparantly i am getting based in JFK. Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what life is like there or NYC in general. Housing, traffic, cost of living etc...Im not oblivious to the fact that it is busy, and expensive, but i was just wondering what to expect. I havent decided yet about moving out there or commuting from Detroit.

Any good stories about flying in and out of the busiest airspace in the world would be cool to. Thanks.
All depends on where you choose to live and what you're used to. One way or the other, it's going to be expensive. I'd plan to have a couple of roommates to make life more livable.

I'd suggest moving to Long Beach, Long Island (Nassau County). It's a fun beach community (obviously more fun in the summer) and it's only a 15 minute drive to JFK.

You should be able to find an apartment and/or roommate on Craigslist.org. If you're not familar with Craigslist, there's a board available for pretty much every city in the country (and around the world). NY's board has taken over as the number one way to find an apartment...much to the chagrin of many newspapers and real estate agents.

Having a car in the area will be much easier living in LB too. If you're in NYC (any of the 5 boroughs) you'd be faced with either paying for parking or having to deal with alternate-side-of-the-street parking rules...which means you'd have to move your car from one side of the street to the other almost daily. The flip side is that you're living in Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan, you could ditch the car all together and use the subway, buses and the AirTrain to get too/from JFK.

That's it in a nutshell. Hope this give you someplace to start.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 01-30-2007 at 07:42 PM.