View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
MoZak18
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2011

I'm very inspired by your story and very interested in how things go. I find myself in a similar position, I'm 22 and about to graduate with a bachelor's in electrical engineering. I've been working as a CFI for the past 3 going on 4 years and have about 1400 hrs. I've also started doing some contract flying in the Lear 35 to get some turbine time going. I considered going to the air force officer training school, but like you I couldn't pass the vision test without corrective surgery.

Overall I have decided not to go the military route, though if I could without issue, and if there was a guarantee I would be flying, I would. The reason I haven't is because there just aren't that many slots, especially in the air force. From what I understand the best chance to get a slot would be the army, with the navy being second after that. This is due to multiple reasons from what I have seen, mainly the military going to unmanned vehicles. A second reason is that I'm a bit wary of any eye corrective surgeries. Of course there are plenty of success stories from people I know, but there are always some bad ones. I've just decided that I don't want to take a chance with my eyes, at least, not for a slim chance at getting a pilot slot.

Overall I don't want a career in just engineering. EE is an excellent fallback, but if I can help it, I don't want to be working in a cubicle like most of my friends who are interns. But at the same time I don't want to be just a pilot! Although I will admit that the first time you fly a jet, and start up those engines, you won't believe the feeling....it eventually gets old. I'd like to do applied engineering work, such as flight test engineering or test pilot for a company like Bombardier or Cessna. Ideally I would like to be an astronaut (hopefully if the commercial space industry gets going in the next 10-15 years, because we all know that NASA isn't any good anymore!), which is why I would like to fly for the military if I could, but likely will not. Either way I will likely be building my turbine time in corporate on Lears, Citations, and a handful of others.

Let me know how things go for you! I am interested in how things will turn out. Our generation is probably one of the last (if not THE last) that will have a chance to pilot fighter aircraft. Good luck to you.