View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by JETUPANDGO View Post
Have an exit plan when the equipment fails. Whenever you throw a Anti/de-icing switch, confirm what you think should happen actually happened. If able, go faster, use the RAM rise to melt the ice. My Father flew a early Sabreliner without any anti/deiceing equipment, they would just go faster. 250 below 10k is a speed limit for normal ops, if able, go 350. Slowing for the approach is another story
Though prohibited from flying in 'known' ice was the rule in my previous airplane, there were lots of stories of finding themselves in icing conditions - I was fortunate enough not to be one of those in my past. The ability to get out of icing and speed were the defensives that I used most often.

EvilMonkey has a great point though about hanging around in icing conditions. Just yesterday we did exactly has he suggests. ATC wanted us at 6,000 for the holding/manuvering for the ILS that we were setting up for, but that was a the tops of a layer and we were picking up a little ice. Just requested 7,000 and spent our time maneuvering on top of that nice layer No problem.

USMCFLYR

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 12-23-2011 at 05:59 AM.