Thread: American Flyers
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
bcpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Generally waaay overpriced to get trained by underpaid entry-level CFI's. They basicaly specialize in separating rich middle-aged guys from their money. These guys assume that if it costs more, it must be better.

Also a lot of variability between locations, it all depends on the local chief pilot.

The 30-day CFI program is usually a good deal, that's the only thing I'd recommend. But you won't get the ratings in 30 days...you'll need study/practice time after the scheduled training, plus scheduling delays for examiners. I'd plan on 4-6 weeks after the 30 day academy ends (AF won't tell you this up front).
+1

The American flyers is basically a flying club for the affluent professionals, doctors, lawyers etc etc..... Nothing wrong with that, it's just another business....... They have an excellent sales team which packages & sells the programs very well........

The CFI Academy at Pompono Beach FL location is a very good program. The academy style 8 AM to 5 PM training, a group of 5 to 10 students who take turns to teach the rest of the group, good Instructors, basically a very good platform to learn & practice teaching.

It is advertised for $2999 but when you add the cost of manuals which they issue, FAA writtens plus Examiner fees for check rides & some other overheads, it comes to about $5000 total.

It still is the cheapest program in the country for CFI(A) & CFII. But the amount of effort & time spent on the program is worth a lot more. The pass rate is very, very high & most of the people pass the initial CFI on the 1st attempt.

Again, it is a business & the company is not doing any charity by subisdising the CFI academy...... The low price attracts the best talents in the country to come there for for CFI & They do it to find their next generation of instructors, right individuals whom they have trainied & watched. They have 1 full month to evaluate each candidate, every day & without the candidate even knowing that he is being screened for a possible future job....

American Flyers then cherry picks the best of LOT & may offer them a job right away or at a later date.

Even though there is no guaranty of a job, but in the past, A lot of people from CFI academy have been offered a job to work with American Flyers.

I have seen the academy at PMP very closely myself & know someone who used to work there, so I will recomend that place for a CFI program & only for CFI program