View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
sinkrate3278
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010

You are still a private pilot. I think you should get your CFI first to learn what it is like to get paid to fly and then make your decision.

I work full time, go to graduate school full time, and still find about 15 hours a month to fly. If you want to experiment as a part time CFI while working on your accounting degree you can.

Assuming you have around 250 hours now, and get hired at a busy flight school, you may need to instruct for a number of years just to reach regional pilot minimums.

At my line of work I'm always working with airline pilots. I've learned that no one career path is the same for anyone. Some guys have never gotten furloughed and ride the waves very well with the same wife and make good money, others are on their 5th furlough and on their 3rd marriage working dead end part time jobs.

Consequently, I'd urge you to consider the common denominators that you'll find in both industries. This world needs both professions.

You have a family and one of your examples is weighing the time away from them as a pilot versus tax season as an accountant. Can you honestly tell your family that living around 200 days a year in a hotel is going to be fine?

checkout the sticky thread by rickair7777. There's a pretty good link on there that helped me make my decision.

As always.... good luck!