Thread: UAL Work Rules
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
TacoTurbine
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Guppy driver

Flying with new Captains on the Bus in 08/09 that were dealing with UALs reserve system for the first time in years, I was always amazed at the belly-aching about how bad it was... I would run them through my patented 2 hour seminar enroute and save them a lot of problems - it's all about strategy.

At the time I lived 30 min from SFO/OAK/SJC and our reserve system made it possible to have about the easiest "part-time" job imaginable. Particularly with smart use of aggressive pickup with automated software both for trips and short-call windows, you can quickly learn to turn the tables on $crew scheduling and have life your way. Later as commuter from PDX - it was still completely doable. Reserve was better quality of life than a junior line with crappy trip-trading, no doubt - particularly in-base.

I will also say that the crew desk was generally pretty good about working with you. Many times while on short-call I would simply ask if I could be off the phone for a couple of hours (remote bike ride, etc.) and often the response was "no problem, check back in 2 hours" I'll be curious to see what the new culture will be like.

I'm scared to think what there might be to come back to if we slip in the direction of CALs rules.