Thread: Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta?

DAL 88 Driver , 01-08-2012 04:39 PM
At home on the maddog!
DAL 88 Driver
At home on the maddog!
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2009
  • Position
    ATL MD-88A
Quote: To be clear, it wasn't the C2K rates that caused the scope problem we're dealing with, nor was it simply a matter of "trading scope for pay". The reason C2K is relevant WRT scope was because that was the last full section 6, the pilot group had a pretty good amount of leverage and no RJ's over 50 seats were in service for Delta yet. Additionally, a more comprehensive solution was within reach since the vast majority of DCI lift was done by 2 wholly owned carriers.

The "carrot" of C2K was largely "United plus" pay rates and that target fixation resulted in a huge opportunity to merely cap scope at the 50 seat level which would have been huge from then til today. 3.b.6 was also gotten rid of in the tunnel vision of "United plus" rates. It wasn't that a whole lot of scope was sold per say, but that a huge opportunity to keep the camel's nose out of the tent was passed up. But its all water under the bridge anyway and like you I hope we learn from our mistakes. 255 DC-9-10 replacement jets and hundreds of other other jets are being outsourced right now and no matter how we got to this point we need to work to fix it as well as reduce the Alaska abuse and tighten up the foreign JV language.
I'm just asking cause I honestly don't know. But didn't Delta already have 70 seaters on order and in their plans at that point? Is it realistic that we could have done what you suggest at that point in time? Especially not being clairvoyant and knowing what we know now?

I agree with you on scope. We need to fix it. Now. I just get tired of hearing it all blamed on C2K because I think there are some (not you) who are trying to use that for political gain.