Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
hockeypilot44
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by 3stripes View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. My main motivation behind this is to essentially determine whether to start a Bachelors degree online over here in the next few months.

To answer questions about why am I not flying in the UK? Well there are a couple of reasons. Firstly, as Rolf correctly identified, there is a woman involved. I'm married to an American and she has an excellent and stable career. Secondly, I used to fly in the UK, but if you think the US is a mess then try going to Europe. I was flying the A320, I got laid off because my airline 'needed to make significant cost reductions'. Six weeks after I'd be laid off along with 274 other colleagues the airline in question announced a 'wonderful' new pay to play scheme. Basically any Joe off the street could pay $50,000, get an Airbus type rating and would be 'allowed' to fly 150 hours for the company unpaid before being turfed out on to the street to allow the next schmuck to take their seat.

Airlines in Europe now only want 200 hour wonderkids who are willing to pay to fly. Ryanair, EasyJet, Wizz, Jet2 etc are all at it. The only really viable option for me is BA who are yet to call and the Middle East. We're happy with life over here for the time being. I wait in hope of a call from BA, but for the time being life is good...ish!
Thanks for that. That was very informative. I'm naive. I thought just about every pilot in Europe was paid like Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, and BA pilots.