Thread: ipad revolution
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
USMCFLYER thanks, your comments makes absolute sense and I agree with you 100%. Heads down time can range from simply being inattentive, to burying your head in an electronic gizmo in the cockpit. The ipad has so many applications from free books to a plethora of help in situational awareness in the cockpit. To carry an AFD, charts, and plates and to use them in the cockpit can be quite a process and the ipad solves this problem. I might as well go ahead and make the purchase! My only fear is that the week after I get one they will come out with the ipad 3!
If you can learn how to use the technology then it can certainly be a help in cockpit organization. My neighbor is very good as using it and his crew recently did nearly a month of overseas flying (all three had tablets with ForeFlight) and they went completely paperless in the cockpit to include all of the paperwork associated with the job! I'm nowhere near that proficient and still like some paper up front, but I especially like to use the moving map to track position especially if operating around certain SUAS/heavy traffic areas/ or even a larger airport with a lot of runway/taxiway construction (recent example). I still carry all of the paper charts up front that I need for the particular day and a whole set of charts/pubs for the entire area that I have to cover.

USMCFLYR