View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Diver Driver
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by CRJ1000 View Post
The CRJ-200 Immediate Action Items for Stabilizer Trim Runaway requires the flight crew to pull two circuit breakers without reference to the Check List...apparently the FAA thinks these are "memory items" and should be done without following the step-by-step list provided in the Quick Reference Handbook.
1.) if you fly the CRJ-200 is this required by your airline?
2.) if you fly an aircraft (besided the CRJ-200) that has "immediate actions" do any of that involve pulling a Circuit Breaker from MEMORY? If so, what aircraft and what is it for?
I understand how important it is to stop the runaway, however I am concerned that requiring a crew to pull a circuit breaker from memory is not safe.
Thank you for your time.

When I flew the CRJ-100/200ER, we had the same memory action item. IIRC on our aircraft the CB's were highlighted with high reflectivity tape, you couldn't miss them. It is necessary to pull them in some cases to stop a trim runaway. It's been a few years, but I think 2F5 and 4A1 were both along the FO's right ankle so you'd transfer control to the LH side.

I'd agree that yanking breakers in an emergency from memory may not be the best approach, but in the sim, it was nice just reaching down and yanking them out, stopping the runaway. As long as you know the memory item and the CB's are marked so they stand out, I don't see much of an issue as long as you've trained for it.