View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Flutter
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh View Post
I think I'm 75% there as far as choosing another career. Even if I do get my medical back following the FAA's steps as you guys mentioned, I still have the issue of getting hired with a DUI on my record.
With that said, flying still isn't something I'm really willing to give up - I've been flying since I was 15, soloed on my 16th license on my 17th etc etc. I'm still in my (late) 20s so flying is all I really know/knew. Whether or not it ultimately is a career, I'm still not willing to give it up. I contacted leftseat dot com for additional information.
Is the inpatient something like a sober house where you still have the option of leaving to go to a job during the day, or is it truly inpatient, such as in a clinic setting. I just don't have enough $$ sitting around to give up a month of income.
Thanks again
I got a DUI. It happened just after the FAA implented stricter guidelines for first-time offenders. One DUI used to be handled at the discretion of your AME, and this is still the case if you blow under 15. But if you blow 15 or over, or if you refuse, your AME is required to defer your medical application to Oke City for review.

In my case, I refused the breath test. The process took several months, and I used that time to start researching what I may have to do should my medical be denied. So to answer your question, yes, it is truly a 30 day inpatient rehab in a clinical setting. So you would obviously lose a month of income. And without medical insurance, expect to pay about $12,000 to $15,000 for the 30 day program.

Then obviously there are costs associated with the IOP (intensive outpatient program), which is required following the in-patient. And if you utilize a company like leftseat, there are cost associated with that.

There is another possibility. Oke City can further defer your application to DC, in which case you will be required to undergo an very thorough examination by an FAA appointed doctor. I think the evaluation may take an entire day or two, also at your expense.. in the range of $3000. If they determine that you do not suffer from any mental/psychological illness (such as alcoholism), you will get your medical back without the treatment. But blowing a 21 and driving.. its gonna be hard to convince anybody that you are not in need of some type of treatment.

If you are single, without children, and want a flying career very badly, and you had someway of getting the money required, I would do the treatment. But if you don't think you are not an alcoholic, or if you have a wife and kids to support, or if you don't believe you can get a job, then definitely your time and money is better spent moving on.

You COULD get a job, by the way. It wouldn't be an airline job but that may be one of the hidden blessings. No offense to airline guys, there just seems to be a lot of discontent. Anyway, don't want to go off on a tanget. I hope I helped answer some of your questions and happy to answer anymore that you may have.