View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
smails
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default The state of our profession

Not long ago I was checking into the Narita Hilton. What I witnessed was a sad reality of what our profession has become. I had just finished checking out and was sitting waiting for our handler. Several airline crews began to arrive. The first group was a Korean Airlines, then a China Airlines, and then a JAL crew. I was incredibly impressed with the level of professionalism of these crews. All of the FA's had the same look, hairstyle, weight, and were all quiet and not making a scene! The Captain went to the front desk, got everyone's keys,distributed them and then gave instructions as to when they were to meet on departure day. Now, while they were sitting there, a crew from an american airlines arrived, I won't say which airline it was, but they were "friendly".
The Captain, whose shirt tail was hanging out, stood off to the side while this circus of FA's created a disgusting scene. ( I know, it is not his job to babysit them.) The four weight challenged senior citizen FA's were so loud and obnoxious, that every person in the lobby felt uncomfortable. then came the three " sexually confused" male FA's with their fluorescent hair and skipping down the lobby holding hands! Everyone in the lobby was visibly upset. I was embarrassed at the way these " professionals " were acting! ( They were just as bad downstairs in the crew room.) It seemed to me that the crews from the other airlines were laughing at them for their behavior.
What is wrong with us? Do we have any pride?
Now I am sure that there will be criticism of my comments. I will chalk that up to too much wine and an inability to articulate my position accurately. But I have just finished re-reading Fate Is The Hunter, and feeling a bit disgusted as to what our profession has become.
I apologize if I have offended anyone, but I just needed to vent.

Last edited by UAL T38 Phlyer; 01-24-2012 at 06:36 AM.