View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Fly Boy Knight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
USMCFLYR
Lol yeah I agree, the idea behind the concept of "incidental to the business" is rather vague. I hate it how the FAA tries to make things clear but using words like that aren't clear at all.

I do have to agree that this situation sounds funky and is probably not within the scope of "incidental". I think the best course of action would be to get a letter of interpretation from the FSDO on this particular issue. Then, at least, it is clearly obvious that you were not sure and that you are NOT trying to "get away with anything" behind the FAA's back.

After rereading the OP a bunch of times, I am inclined to agree with you that the purpose of a "meeting" could be the sole agenda of the company. The way I see it is the word "incidental" means that it will not be a repeat event. If you are a restate broker and you need pictures of a house and the only road to this house was washed out by Hurricane Irene, then renting a plane would be 100% incidental because this is the only time you will ever do it (not in the business of aerial photography, just getting pictures because there is no other way). However, in this case, to me it does NOT sound like this will be a one time deal and the company would have no way to justify to the FAA that it is a one time deal.

Again, these interpretations of the word "incidental" are all fine and dandy but until an enforcement action happens pertaining to this subject, all we can do is speculate but, in hind sight, I think a letter from the FSDO would be in order or simply don't do it.