Thread: Im going to ATP
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 AM
atdhockey
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: Lav EMB-145
Default Smart your doing research

So here how it goes at ATP being that I used to be a CFI there. I did not do all my ratings there but I wish I would have. Either these guys hate the airlines they are at(I know a ton of guys at who even at UPS or FedEx who cry about their job and how crappy it is) or just hate ATP(which there are a lot of those). ATP doesn't steal your money. I know I worked there. Every instructor I know at ATP works their butts off to make sure you don't have to buy extra time. Most of the guys here have loans and feel your pain. I went to a four year college and did the majority of my flying there. I hated how slow it took. Yes the Career Pilot Program is intense, yes it goes fast which means you cant be partying you have to take it seriously its preparing you for the airlines.
You do get to fly around the country and see it while being a student there. They put you in hotels and pay for it all. It's fun and your going to meet a lot of people. This is just like any other flight school except they go faster than everyone else because your doing it everyday. Working at ATP wasn't bad at all. Sure some places pay more but, they don't have as many students as you will have at ATP. They wont give you discounted housing at a location you teach at with all utilities included. They wont be able to give you the multi time you want. You will also be able to get the Regional Jet course discounted and sometimes for free. Yes its not that fancy but it allows you to get hired at way less minimums than normally.I was very skeptical about ATP before I went there. Until i talked with over 30 guys working at current airlines who taught there or did some rating there and they said it was great and recommended it.
When the weather wasn't crap I flew about 6-8 hours a day every day. I gave a lot of ground too that I didn't get paid for. I wasn't doing it for the money. Nor are any other CFI's. I would be more than happy to talk about any questions you have. Sent me a message and I will respond as soon as I can.