View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
It's my understanding that most of the foreign positions are for defined contract period, i.e. 1-2 years. If true, then what sort of scope, security, working condition stability and pension does one have working for a foreign direct entry position?

Not being critical, just don't know and curious.
Most of the contracts now are 3-5 years with automatic extensions and bonuses for you to extend. And with regard to China/Hong Kong and the Middle East, they are almost panic stricken with how short they will be in the future. With these nations, it all has to do with experience and qualifications. The airlines would be perfectly willing to put anybody in one of the seats, but the insurance underwriters won't let them. I don't see insurance underwriters changing those experience requirements for captains anytime soon.

It's a simple question of what you get paid for the days you work. If I had 10 to 15 years left and was looking at below USAir pay rates and a gutted scope, a foreign contract would be a no brainer. At the end of the contract, I would be shopping around for a better one and use that as leverage against the current contract to either match it or lose me.

Carl