View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
SheriffWydell
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: on top

There's another thing about this situation that really bothers me.

ABX, ATI and CCIA are all controlled by Joe Hete who is the CEO of ATSG (the parent corporation of ABX, ATI and CCIA).

There are about 80 pilots who were furloughed from ABX and went to work at ATI starting around April 2010. Those ABX/ATI pilots went to ATI with the understanding that they would not be eligible to return to ABX until after they had been at ATI for two years.

As of about a month ago, ABX finally went all the way through their recall list, not counting the ABX/ATI pilots who are not yet eligible to accept a recall at ABX because they haven't been at ATI for two years yet. Starting in April of this year, the first of those ABX/ATI pilots will have completed their two years at ATI. There is a possibility that those ABX/ATI pilot will want to return to ABX because the pay is much higher and some of the work rules are better.

For a very short period of time, Joe Hete has a window of opportunity to acquire hew hire pilots at new hire wages before the 12 year pay scale, ABX/ATI pilots start to be eligible to return to ABX. It is possible that ABX is in a hiring frenzy right now to stockpile new hire pilots while they can to ensure a ready supply of cheaper labor.

Those ABX pilots went to ATI with their eyes wide open. If Hete is maneuvering to be able to get new hires instead of bringing back pilots who went to ATI, there is no official reason he can't. However, I think it's ethically wrong. It is a manipulation of the ABX/ATI pilots. Those pilots went to ATI with the understanding that they would get to return to ABX after their two years was up. Their recall rights are only for 7 years. If Hete can hold off recalling any more furloughed pilots for a couple more years, those pilots lose their recall rights forever.

I think anyone who knowingly participates in this scheme is guilty of manipulating the ABX/ATI pilots. I don't think Joe Hete will have any problem sleeping at night but I would if I was a part of this.