View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
jcaplins
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by hopefulpilot View Post
Hey guys, I'm 18 years old and really confused on whether or not I should continue to pursue a career as a pilot. I keep looking back at an article from june of 2011 stating the next 10-20 years are going to be explosive in regard to pilot hiring, but then again the industry is very cyclical.

some background info.

- attended ERAU for ONE semester before realizing that I didn't want to be 200K in debt

-currently working a part time job and going to school ( IN VIRGINIA, yes i transferred)

- Only have 12 hours logged, but have my written taken care of

Im pretty much at the very beginning. I come on this forum a lot for advice but most of the time I just get discouraged by all of the threads I read.
I know flight training is expensive ( from private to CFII it would be around 50-60 K where i live) and regional pay is beyond horrible (at least starting out) so I'm really confused as to what I should do....

Option 1) should I take out the loans to continue my flight training, get it done within a couple of years, CFI and work my way up like everyone else ( I would still be pursuing my degree)

OR

Option 2) just focus on my degree in comp. engineering, get a desk job out of college, make money and forget about flying......

Just like all other pilots out there, I want to be seated at the left seat of a 737 or some other big jet, but I know the path to get there is very expensive and seldom direct.

Please respond and help me out guys, I don't want to sit around for months just pondering my life. Thanks

There's a flaw in your option 2.
Replace "forget about flying" with "fly for fun"