View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 AM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Pearl,
I was in a similar situation as you and not the much further ahead of you on the aviation road. Been at a regional for about 6 months now after doing the CFI gig for a couple of years (Got hired around 1200 hours). It was around after a year or so of being a CFI where I found myself in a similar situation. Before I would jump at every opportunity to get into the air. To fly and remember why I love aviation. There were times where I would just think "ugh... I dont want to go to work today."

I'll offer some advice, again from someone just a little further down the road than you. Hopefully it helps and provides some insight.

Like it or not, flying IS a job. It IS something we do to pay the bills. I wouldn't be flying a 50 seater jet with 430AM east coast wake up times (when I am from central) if I wasnt paid (sometimes it feels like that). So while it is something we love to do, it IS a job. Once I realized that, I actually felt better. All my previous jobs, even the ones I really liked (non aviation) that had great employees, fun tasks, good pay, etc etc... there were still days I didnt want to go (usually when the alarm clock went off), or thought to myself "Gahh... I hate this job." But again, it's something we have to do and as long as the good outweighs the bad by a considerable amount than it is worth it. I once had a job I was miserable at the WHOLE time and just too many reasons to hate it. Well, that didnt last long.

Now that I am in a jet at FL370, it again is fresh and exciting. I am challenged by flying in most days and bringing a plane full of passengers down to a safe landing requires my full attention. Sure once I get 1000s of more hours in type, it will become more routine, just like point landing a Seminole was. But until then, it keeps me on my toes.

As far as motivation, I guess I think to myself that I need to do what I need to do in order to get back home.

Another thing I've noticed with pilots are in anonymous forums, the negativity tends to abound without limits. Yet I've found in reality, it is not as negative and generally once you make the call "Cockpit door, locked and secure" the negativity goes down even more. I still have captains with 10, 15, 20 years talk about how much they love this job and that they could never see themselves behind a desk. That's not to say I've had my fair share of crotchety old guys complain non-stop while I nod obligatorily with my mic cold.

On the same note of avoiding negativity... stay away from APC as much as possible. I remember when I was a rising CFI I was on here religiously looking for advice, leads on jobs, hints a lower hiring minimums, etc. Now I try to limit my time as much as possible. There is just WAY too much negativity. Asking for motivation or advice on here is also risky so hopefully you'll get some actual good and useful advice.

And my last piece of advice I'll give that probably will be agreed by 95% of all pilots. Chances are you are going to get married (or already are) or have family you want to be with. With that in mind, do what ever you can to live in base - especially while on reserve. This includes not applying to all airlines, or being selective on which ones you choose. This last part people may disagree with since some are of the mind set to get on with any airlines immediately. To me, pay is only one small portion of the equation. Quality of Life is equal, if not more important. And to me, you can get good QOL if you live in base and can be home more nights than you are away.

Well, my coffee cup is empty. Hope there was something useful you gleamed from this.

Keep your head up and things WILL work out.