Thread: 2012 Fleet Plan
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM
EWRflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 737 CAPT

Originally Posted by A320 View Post
I love how the 737-900 is alway being compared as an equal to the 757. How come LCAL doesn't fly it across the Atlantic then? it's because the -900 isn't the same and isn't capable. Oh ya, the 757 isn't the best plane to cross the Atlantic either with the fuel stops that are widely reported. How often has any model of the 767, 777, A330, or 747 ever had to stop for fuel coming back to the east coast of the US?

The Guppy is an awesome plane though. I spent 11 years on it. It is like my Harley Softtail. Fun on short rides but sucks if you are strapped to it for 5 hours straight. My rear end would get used to it nicely at SWA rates I have to admit.
A320,

I don't know of any CAL pilot who views the 737-900 as being equal to the 757-200. They aren't. While we say the seating is the same, they are not even close in mission capabilities. We recognize that. However, convincing management of this is something completely different.

I agree with you though that the 737 cockpit is not well designed for long flights (or flight bags either for that matter). My favorite line ever from a SW captain several years ago when jumpseating on SW right around the time they started their east coast expansion and longer haul flights:

"We have to head across the country to LAS (out of BWI). My two-hour a** won't do well on a five-hour flight!"