Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I looked into QOL heavily when I was offered the job there, and I came to these conclusions. I knew a lot of Wichita FSI instructors over the last 5 years and did a lot of research.

• Some jobs are only part time and you may have to find supplementary work. That could be a deal breaker as there is not much else right now part time to do in Wichita in terms of flying or teaching gigs in Wichita. You might end up working at Home Dept.
• From having known lots of sim operators and their reasons for working there, almost none were because it is so much fun operating a sim. They give loss of medical and need to be at home for kids as the main reasons for working there.
• FSI personnel are generally not allowed to flight instruct outside of FSI. Obviously this has to be overlooked for the part time operators, but if you go full time expect them to crack down on your moonlighting quite seriously. You can still fly for fun though. Having said that, I did meet a few senior FSI instructors who managed to do Part 61 checkrides on the side, and one even instructed in a LearJet. How they did that I am not sure, but anyone will tell you FSI asks its people not to moonlight and will fire anyone that they do not agree can do so.
• Upward mobility within the company is highly dependent on their needs, so if you think you are going to get to a Citation sim in 6 months think again. You might but not likely.
• Long term operators do seem to enjoy working there, but none I ever talked to said they would rather do that than fly an airplane.
• If you do get cabin fever working at FSI after some time and want to jump ship, it is an EXCELLENT networking tool. Best ever. I am not sure how easy it is to come back once you jump ship. My guess is they are fairly liberal about it, but I would ask before to make sure.
• The money is not so great for the low end sims, but it is negotiable to some extent. Operators working the high end sims make pretty good money. FSI knows what it has to pay to retain talent.

Hope this helps.