View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 AM
dundem
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: L Side

Originally Posted by ja2c View Post
You are not going to find it. At the airline I work at, it is "technique" to do a 3 degree decent. 100% of the guys I fly with do it this way. Most of the time I do it unless I am flying with a Douche Bag, then I'll do 500fpm just to get him to tell me how to fly an airplane.

You need to let this one go though. I understand it is not Regulation in The Code of Federal Regulations Title 14 Aeronautics and Space. When you have your first line check, the check airman will suggest somethings to you. Again, if you don't agree, just say yes sir.

Quick question: ATC requests you descend from FL370 to FL310 about 30 minutes earlier than you'd like to. Your ground speed is about 450 knots as you're still at cruise speed. Are you telling me that 100% of the guys that you fly with would descend at 2250 fpm from FL370-FL310?

I know it's your opinion that the OP should "let this one go", but I respectfully disagree. I am by no means endorsing an argument with any LCA, but what he/she's doing here is a good idea, IMO. I wouldn't get into it with anyone over anything that doesn't jeopardize my safety or break any regs, but it's still better to know the difference between a reg and someone's personal preference.

As with many things aviation, there are many times that the technique used is based upon the situation.

While we're on this, I remember a situation at my current company. As with many arrivals, the one we were on had a crossing restriction. ATC cleared "when ready, descend & maintain FL 280 by QWERT". I called vacating and the LCA told me that I shouldn't in a radar environment. I told him that as far as I know, it's required to call vacating a previously assigned altitude for a new one. I kept it respectful and humble and there were no problems. I know that many times guys don't make the call and nothing happens; fair enough, but the regs say it's required.