View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
mistarose
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Furloughed

Lets get this straight, if you loose oil pressure, the propeller will only go into feather w/out manually feathering it if the oil is lossed quickly. Why does it matter how fast/slow you loose the oil pressure in the system?

Whats the proper name for these locks that engage somewhere between 700 and 950 rpms? Do you prevent these pins from locking by moving the prop lever past the feather detent? Because at some point you will be reducing the RPMs past the 700-950 range when they are supposed to engage.

Now to a related topic, during the runup, what are we checking during the feather check? We increase RPM's to 1500, then move each prop lever individually to the feather detent momentarilly and back to full forward again. I have been told and believe that we are verifying the feather locks do not engage, and the prop acts as if it is going to feather (rapid decrease in RPM and whop whop whop). I have also been told we do not know if its the locks or oil pressure keeping them from feathering. I am very confused and will figure all of this out eventually during ground training, but am interested in others thoughts.

Thanks in advance!