Thread: Aviation degree
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
JMT21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by HoboPilot View Post
JMT21, love may not pay the bills, but when I'm old, looking back on life, I'm not going to be cherishing all the bills I've paid in my life.
I would hope not.

Financial stability is important. Even though I may not be making the big bucks, but I'll make ends meet. A lot of people graduate college with debt and work their way out of it.
Being a pilot is probably one of the least financially stable jobs I know of. Please explain how you plan on getting by, living in a large city (high cost of living) and still make your student loan payments all on 20k a year (if your lucky). I can't make it work. Do you really want to be living at home at 25? Are those the moments you talk about cherishing in your old age?

Thanks for your wishes of good luck. I also extend you the same wishes with your gamble. Life wouldn't be exciting for me if I didn't take the gamble for something I truly want. However, I don't see my education as a gamble, it's a decision that I made after lots of research and thought. I decided I would rather go out and get my certs and ratings while at college than wander around through life, meandering towards the same goal. I'm not going to get stuck working in a cubicle wasting my days away surfing the internet, living out my dreams as a desktop pilot, sitting, waiting, wishing for the job I dream of today.
A degree in commercial aviation is a gamble and aviation management isn't much better. What are going to do when you get furloughed or if you lose your medical? What if you have a family to take care of?

Open your eyes, its not either cublicle or cockpit, there are very many careers in between.

A wise choice is one that results in the best outcome for that person. Each person is different than the other, different choices work better for different people in the same situations. Assuming that one decision will work better than another in every situation is pretty bold and rather ignorant.
There is no assuming, getting into a lot of debt to chase a dream is not a wise choice...even of you go to UND. I'm not telling you not to pursue a career as a pliot, I'm saying if I had to do it all over again I would go about it differently.

Hey, by the way, what year and major are you here at UND
Senior, Aviation Management/Accountancy.

I hear its been pretty cold in GF, stay warm.