Thread: "Other" Time
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
LowSlowT2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Tanker-driver View Post
What's the standard in the Herk community? If you're augmented do you still log primary if you're out of the seat? It amazes me how much difference there is between communities when it comes to logging time. I've heard wildly different "techniques" for logging primary instrument and IP time as well. You'd think that at least the heavy communities would be somewhat standardized here.
First, we don't fly a lot of augmented missions. Even though my MDS is AR capable (err...was - I just retired Thursday), our missions are so short-notice that we have difficulty getting tankers. What we end up doing more often than not is not augmenting our crews, but rather waiving crew rest rules!

You can do it however 401 will let you, but what makes sense to me is that you designate a J code (in command, alternate mission). If the A-code gets out of the seat for crew rest, the J-code is in the seat. The primary A-code can log other time now. Of course, you can have the A-code out of the seat, but if you're sound asleep in a crew bunk somewhere, I'd argue that you're not in command...really. More reason to have two A-codes.

Of course, your crew ratios/manning may not allow for that, so do what you can legally. I can't reconcile other and A-code time at all in my pea brain though...it doesn't compute. I realize 401 doesn't prohibit it, but it doesn't make sense to me at all...but I'm slow.

I need to learn to type in past-tense since I won't be flying them like that anymore (just got on with a contractor for ferry & FCF work flying same planes though).