Gets Weekends Off
Flyhayes
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2011
  • Position
    Admiral
Quote: That rate is with mogas on a base fuel restriction I bet. And all cheap training twins are rust buckets. It costs money to buy seats, paint, avionics etc. They are cheap because they do not have these things in very good condition. Even most $300 rental twins are kind of junky.
I think it boils down to what one would consider a "rust bucket". The Geronimo mentioned earlier is certainly a no frills twin trainer. But it still manages to have a paint job and glass that is less than two years old, as well as a brand new Garmin 430W. Which in my opinion isn't bad for a 1960's trainer. As far as I'm aware, it is the only twin engine trainer that does not have any AD's on the airframe. While she may not be the prettiest airplane on the ramp and may not have the cleanest looking interior she is build to perform her mission flawlessly and still maintain a reasonable price for the student/renter. Remeber, just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not in good condition.
As far as fuel is concerned, we currently pay $4.84 for avgas (the local areas average rate is $5.51 according to AirNav), and we don't charge any fuel surcharges. The fact that she only burns 9 gallons per side certainly helps the economy of our operation.