View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
ski fish fly
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Originally Posted by alpar80 View Post
So after being out for 10 months and not even current, whats the first move?? I dont want to go back to the airlines but, have a possible opportunity to go PT with the last carrier that I flew with prior or possibly instructing? However my CFI has lapsed...

any suggestions??? I know I have to get back into it..
Too many unknowns ...

What kind of carrier were you with 10 months ago? What type of equipment were you flying? PIC or FO? Do you have a commercial certificate or an ATP? Married, kids, single? What are you doing now? etc etc etc

You mention that you don't want to go back to the airlines ... did you resign, terminated, furloughed?

If you were furloughed, you're probably eligible for WIA money (I believe, Workers Investment Act). In my state, you apply for WIA money through the Dept of Labor. You could secure money to pay for that MEI to make your CFI/II current again.

Are you willing / able to move? Have you started sending out resumes?

I am/was kind of in a similar boat. I left an overseas flying job in July thinking I was going to start with a new company in September. 3 days before I was to start, issues arose with the new carrier. Although I do start with a new employer in about a week, since July ... I've been unemployed. I sent out (electronically) 1-4 resumes a day. While being unemployed, I interviewed 4 times and received 4 job offers (I was very fortunate, I admit) .... Although it worked out, I turned down 3 of the 4 offers ... probably not the smartest thing to do but, the trout were biting and the skiing has been above average!

Bottom line .... to get back in .... do whatever it takes! Get current in something and start applying / networking.

Good luck in your job search!