View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
744driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: B767 CA

Originally Posted by Fishfreighter View Post
Exactly. They only need the assets. They could, hypothetically, wait in the wings until Global goes Chapter 7 then pounce. However, then there would be more competition for those assets.

Remember, Atlas has already offered to buy NAA once. That's a key point.
Competition for what? Some beat up 767s when everyone else is opting for 777s (Omni)...so, the 767s would still be available for fairly cheap.

Ok, it's my turn to stir the pot...I've heard that even Atlas is looking at 777s. But then that is nothing new. Every viable company, and even government, has to look at contingencies and opportunities for strategic planning.

This time last year, (before the 767 announcement), a former Management pilot told us (at a breakfast, solve-the-world's-problems, union meeting !!) that the 767 (or equivalent) was being considered for about 10 years. Finally, last year, the stars all lined up and here we are actually operating the light twin (767).

So, another fleet type (777, I hope, and not the A330) is likely long way off...5 years or more.

Since we are spreading rumors, whatever happened to the oldie but goodie about the 767 tankers we were supposed to get?!!