View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by MD11Fr8Dog View Post
I can make $900/month working at Walmart or Lowes, with less wear and tear on my body.
Good luck with that plan. Wal Mart will start you off as part time help with about 32 hours per week at $8 an hour. That way they don't have to pay benefits. So, 32 hours per week at $8 an hour would give you a little over $1000 per month. Oh wait, we need to pay FICA/Medicare/Federal Tax/State Tax, etc. And since you will be the new guy (even Wal Mart has a senority system) you can plan on going to work from 11p to 8a to stock shelves (that ought to be fun at an advanced age). Plus, you will be supervised by some 20 year old high school graduate who is also working part time. Sounds like a fun week to me.
No thanks. I'll work my 12 days a month (3 days every 3rd month with vacation), keep feeding the 401(K) and B Fund, keep my health/dental/vision and life insurance plus get to 25 years for a full retirement. If you are stressed by this job you are either doing it wrong or need to bid back to the right seat. This is not a stressful job.