View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
ClutchCargo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: FDX MD11 Capt in MEM

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Changes in the hiring practices have blown the doors open at the airlines. Now a pilot can be fat, skinny, short or tall. New hires can be 22 or 62. Wear coke bottle glasses and be from a mail order college. These developments have been great for the airlines and diversity but bad for the profession. Now a pilot is compensated more for what they will do over what they can do. Flying is considered to be fun so pilots will do a lot to stay in the saddle.

My generation had to pay our own way through college and flight school. We did not have access to student loans to perpetuate the illusion. I had to earn each dollar for my flight training. I am not ashamed to say that my primary aviation career interest was as a job. I need to make a living and to have a life as the product of my efforts.

Skyhigh
Even with all of those "dumbed down" requirements you couldn't get an interview?

Why couldn't you get a student loan? Weren't you attending an accredited school?

Why can't you just face the fact that you were never cut out to be a professional pilot? I could never be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, broker, etc.
My next door neighbor is a bond trader (partner in a firm). He makes about 6-7 million/yr. My interest in his job: zero. His interest in my job: zero. It's a beautiful world.

I'll be thinking of you when we rocket out of the overcast into that star-filled sky tonight, Sky.