Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
gacri
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Default Setting up a Law Enforcement Aviation Wing?

This question I'm sure will find itself a bit different than most I have read on here. After much research I felt that this would be the proper place to "tap" into the vast experience from those of you already in the aviation industry. I am thrity eights years old and been a law enforcement officer for approx. (16) years. I currently hold a position as a County Detective under the authority of the local District Attorney. This position allows our office to have countywide jurisdication and support all local law enforcement in the area. With that said, since my younger years I have always had a passion for aviation, wishing to pursue my pilots license. My goal is to try and incorporate aviation into my current position in law enforcement. I see the need for and agency such as ours to offer aeriel photographs (crime scenes), pre-warrant surveillance, tracking of wanted persons, searching of missing persons ect.....From my research this is a very touchy subject as to how I can go about this? I have found many smaller agencies are incorporating LSA due to their low operating costs ect...My thought is to No. 1 - obtain my PPL...and some flight hours No. 2 possibly rent a plan from the local FBO for smaller missions, photographs ect....The ultimate goal is to research funding and possible donations from local businesses for the purchase of our own LSA...Any thoughts or suggestions? I know this the first of many steps, but I wanted to hear everyones thoughts. As for my agency supporting this type of endeavor? It is like any goverment office...get all your ducks in a row first, prove the projects capabilities and how much is it gonna cost us, then and only then will we support it. Any advive on training certifications, hours logged, FAA restrictions ect.. would be helpful. Thanks for your time in advance and all your input.