Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
fjetter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

As a '07 FIT Alum I'll toss my $.02 here...I did look at Riddle, FIT, and Bridgewater State. Couple of things influenced my decision process.

• Riddle does aviation great but only aviation....you get two years in and decide it's not for you and now you're transferring out (read loss of some credits and tack an extra year onto total schooling). Other schools you may be able to just change major without loss of credits and friends.
  • FIT offered me a significantly higher scholarship offer than ERAU making it pricey but affordable. They also kicked in extra $$ into the scholarship after a few years of maintaining a high GPA.
  • FIT is a well established name in the Aviation business, while it's not ERAU (based largely on size) still definitely respected. One reason I opted against BSC was they were just establishing their program with Comair at the time that shortly went defunct.
  • I enjoyed my time socially at FIT, while it didn't have the big college party experience, that's ok because that also opens up trip wires to screwing up with school due to over indulgence.
  • One reason I opted against BSC in Mass was the weather....Northern states weather WILL slow the training process. I've taught in both FL and New England. Northern weather is much more harsh during the late fall to early spring months (read school year) and will delay the training whereas in FL you will be able to train year round.
I'm sure there's more I could add if needed and feel free to PM. One important thing that could be said for any large flight school is networking....I have my current job now because a college friend helped me.