Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM
ImperialxRat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I agree with what most people have said here. I would definately get your ratings while doing school....Many people do it, and its easy to manage your time that way.

Expect to be studying your butt off for the rest of your career. New equipment comes out, you will transfer jobs, aircraft, etc etc. All of it is more testing on you, more training, more studying, etc etc.

My major is in aeronautical science...which kind of sucks because if I lose my medical, I really cant do anything with my degree. Major in something that interests you, but make sure its a BS degree, not a BA.

ATP is not necessarily a bad program, although I didnt go there myself. Its an accelerated training program, which may mean your not really absorbing the information as well as you could be...i'm not really sure.

The most cost effective way would be to go to your local FBO, find an instructor and start training for your private license. enroll in classes at your JC or local state school, and your costs will be greatly reduced.

I went to embry-riddle and ended up spending 3x more than I would have if I had just gone to a state school, and done my training back home.

who knows...to each his own. I cant really go back in time, so I guess im stuck with my path.

Also, flying out of a local airport / fbo sets you up to make some really great contacts. Working line service / fueling / etc at your local fbo is also a great way to network (wish I had done that too)

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and getting instructor jobs is easy...ya do that for a year or two, go to a regional (if thats what ya want). Expect to be living off top ramen and keystone for your college career, as well as your first year at a regional.