View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
jaded
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Airline #4

Originally Posted by FIIGMO View Post
I am very good friends with the CP at MWR and they use outside vendors for perf data. My point is few 91 operators will use it. As a former PIC on a CRJ the g whiz stuff only goes so far then one has to go with reality. If you think load plan is wrong and pull out the PDA for your argument, you first mistake will be to pull out the PDA. I wish I could program an APP like that. Many kudos! But regs and laws are just that. Lawyers are every where. Part 91 is fine, anything else is too risky....
FIIGMO, in the end, you don't take off with the data from my app it would be impossible (firstly, it states on the app itself "For planning purposes only, Caution; balance is not calculated, secondly, it does not provide stab trims, v speeds etc..., and thirdly if you use an iPhone app to calculate your actual take off data you probably deserve to take off out of CG and crash) Ok JK on the last one, that was kind of harsh. Point being, my app does exactly what you'd do anyway when you're sitting at the flight deck on your FMS before you send your final numbers away... which is; put erroneous data on the Perf page and juggle numbers that "might" work.

Not that it makes a difference but Mesaba used to have a cell phone app running off some off brand flip phone style phone crunching the "legal" numbers for Saab W&B. So using a phone for legal weight and balance in 121 ops is not unheard of...