Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
snoopy747

Default Southern Air B-747 or Contract B-767 Flying

Requesting input and "even-keel" thoughts on Southern Air B-747 versus Contract B-767 flying, aside from the pay differences and being on the raod for 20 days.

I'm in a position to either fly the B-767 for a established Asian Carrier being based overseas (starting out as an B-767 Type Rated F/O and Captain after 4 years). The contract is very long-term (can you believe 6 years after completion of training which is 7 months long, almost as long as my first USAF enlistment in the early 80s) and has a high non-prorated "contract-bond" for any early departures. The flying appears to be good.

The other option is the opportunity to fly for Southern Air Cargo. I live in the US and prefer to stay here. However, I have not heard anything positive about Southern Air. Every person I''ve personally talked to, have not given me any good attributes.

What really is Southern Air like? Do pilots "bail" quickly from Southern Air and use them as a "stepping stone" to to other carriers? Is Southern "quick with the ax" and what's the relationship between the pilots and management? What's the pilots like, since I hear nothing positive about the company, what type of pilots fly there?

I'm sure there's got to be something good about Southern Air......right?

I'm a retired USAF F-15 Driver in my mid-40s, so I'm considering my age and long-term productivity limitations with the age 60 rule here in the US.

Thanks, and I appreciate any honest and reasonable inputs and opinions.