View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM
TillerEnvy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Bear with me for a moment because I'm sure to a lot of people this is going to sound crazy. I'm currently a first year FO at XJT based in ORD. Last year I was invited to interview with Republic while I was in my initial training with XJT, however the details of the interview, where to go etc never got sent to me and I took that as fate telling me to stay with XJT. My family circumstances have just changed and I now want to give Republic another shot and I'm interested in people's opinions regarding XJT vs Republic.

I'm going to approach this from the perspective of being a new hire at each company, if anyone within Republic could give me their educated opinion I'd appreciate it.

Republic Pros:
- More bases, more options for my family.
- Better long term earning potential, especially if fate dictates that I should be unlucky enough to be a lifer.
- Operate some of their own services (Frontier) with possible plans for their own Republic branded flying in the future? Thus they sell their own tickets.
- Fewer 50 seaters, predominately made up of larger RJs which are less vulnerable financially
- Possible new flying contracts rumoured
- New contract at some point in the future
- Ability to make six figures in the long term

Republic Cons:
- Poor management/workforce relationship
- Strike vote in place, on going contract talks
- Recent furloughs
- Losing money, especially with Frontier
- Low morale

ExpressJet Pros:
- Decent pay for a 50 seat gig
- Good work rules
- Seemingly growing, getting more flying, 135s being brought out of the desert etc.
- Varied flying
- Line bidding for the time being with good control over schedule
- Lots of new hires and upgrades, seniority moving quite fast

ExpressJet Cons:
- All 50 seaters (bar a few CRJ700s/900s which are off limits for legecy XJT pilots). Ageing aircraft type which isn't particularly profitable.
- Losing money
- A merger which looks like it could turn toxic
- Poor choice of bases
- Low morale
- Lower base rate pay in the long term

I'd be interested to hear opinions from both sides. As I said, it seems crazy to be contemplating even doing this, but family comes first and there's a very long story behind why I'm even considering making the move. Plus, if I'm going to make a move, I'd prefer it to be now when I'm only in my first year, than in a few years time when I'd be sacrificing more.
Aye aye aye....regional to regional is hard to justify. It's bad here now, but that could change next week. XJT was the place to be 4 years ago and then furloughed 350+...that's a big decision to make.

XJT has the best pilots in the industry (they'll tell you, so I know), so you'd be flying with sub-par guys here.

In all seriousness, I'd stay put until we figure out this mess.