Thread: Transcon Turns
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 PM
mm320cap

First, a disclaimer... I am not a jetBlue pilot, but the way this industry is going, it behooves us all to keep tabs on what is happening at the survivors.

A question. Are these tests being conducted yet? I had dinner with a guy who was doing a DH JFK-OAK, layover, DH back. This sounded to me as if he was acting as the safety pilot for the tests, but I didn't know for sure if you all had started flying them yet.

Next, I'll be honest. I am concerned somewhat about the safety of such a schedule. If you have a reserve pilot who lives a couple hours outside of New York, and he gets called for one of these turns, he will probably need to be on the road by 5am. So let's assume a 4:30am wakeup, and a 7am launch. Assuming an hour ground time, the landing back at JFK is going to be around 7pm. Two hour drive home... That's a LONG day. A few times at my airline (brand X), I have done a DH out to fly back transcon, and my experience has been that I am absolutely worthless during the final phases of the second leg. Add any sort of weather delays, mechanical problems etc., and it is going to be a LONG night. I'm assuming that the prevailing thought is that if you get to OAK and you are fatigued, that you would not fly back. That's fine, but you could easily feel fine in OAK, and 5 hours later be functioning at a VERY reduced level of awareness. It only takes one accident to make the whole project not worth it.

Believe me I understand the desire for more efficient schedules... we all want more time at home. Let me also say to those of you that commute: You are ALWAYS welcome on my jumpseat. Although I have never had the opportunity to ride on your airline, I am well aware that you have the best jumpseat policy in the business. I'm sure that there will be those who try to use the jumpseat as a tool to "punish" your efforts; I find this deplorable. We are all just trying to get to work...

See you on the line.