View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by shdw View Post

If the props are counter rotating, as many are, then spiraling slipstream can be ignored. However, so could the effects of torque on wheel weight and p-factor.

If the twin has a critical engine, then slipstream and torque effect would come back into play. As well as p-factor when in flight.
That's just my point, the engines are mounted away from the fuselage in my "conventional twin" scenario, how does the spiraling slipstream from the left engine "jump" backwards and right and "hit the tail"? Why doesn't it go "straight back"?, and if not, then is it really widening that much as it's moving backwards (and maintaining the same magnitude?). I just don't see that as realistic. I don't see them behaving the "same" with such radically different engine mounting configs (single eng vs conventional twin), unless those charateristics are due to something else (torque during takeoff roll and P-factor during flight).

But I agree with the torque on takeoff, and I think I found myself turning the yoke a little in that direction during takeoff roll in a high powered single.