Thread: AF Reserve?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

See a unit recruiter and ask about a UPT slot. The recruiter will probably try to enlist you, but with some flight experience and a degree, he should put you in touch with the flying unit Ops Officer. UPT slots are very competitive, but the standards, physical and testing are the same as AD. The final decision on UPT is made by a board at HQ which consists of senior flying officers.

The training is exactly like active duty, if selected. Except, you would know what aircraft you would be flying after graduation. Once home, you will be on a training tour of AD for three-twelve months. You are paid LT's pay plus flight pay the entire time. Once fully trained, you are a reservist with a committment to be current and maintain training standards. Tricky part--what aircraft to fly? First, take the aircraft of the unit that will select you. However, some weapon systems are far more demanding to learn and maintain currency. Fighters are the toughest, by far, especially for a new LT. Herks are next toughest, in my estimate. Tankers and heavy airlift easier. At a minimum, after finishing training, you will need to plan on 6-9 days a month at the unit to be current and maintain your career.

I did 29 years, in fighters and airlift, went to UPT on a Guard slot, full and part time. I've selected and sent about 15 UPT candidates to training, only one didn't finish and she washed out of OTS.

GF