View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 AM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by DAL73n View Post
With the Age 60 rule the average retirement age was around 57.5. There are a number of guys who go out on disability (various medical problems that won't allow them to pass a Class 1). We can expect the same thing to be true of the Age 65 rule - the average age of retirees will be around 62 - there will be quite a few guys that try to fly to 65 that won't make.
It's possible i guess that the "retire 2.5 years early" stays the same, but imho if youre healthy enough to make it to 60 you're probably healthy enough to make it to 65. The guys I see over 60 are in shape. Most people I know who have medical issues and such have it in their late 50s.

Btw don't get me wrong, if the rule is 65, have at it. It's the rule. but if we're going to be consistent, why not have made it retroactive? As in forced carriers to take back their over 60 but under 65 at their previous seniority? And why not age 67 if it is truly a financial issue?

And if an FAA medical is good enough, why does alpa fight age 60+ related age testing?

Last edited by forgot to bid; 03-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.