View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Wildflyin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
How long were you in the military? Did this idea of flying professionally just pop into your head recently? It is a very expensive endeavor no doubt and often times take planning in advance like putting away some money beforehand to front the costs - like a business. Of course ou may argue that there are ways to get loans for starting businesses and that is true. There were ways to get loans for flight training too in the past until the banks figure out that your "business" was likely to fail and you would be unable to pay your loan on that $20,000/yr salary. Maybe you would have a better shot at getting a loan with the bank knowing that they would be reimbursed through the GI Bill. You are right though - ADAPT AND OVERCOME if you really want this job!

USMCFLYR
Oh, I did 4 years as a Supp-O in the USMC. I think you misunderstand my position; I am already in this career. I'm a regional FO for a turbo-prop carrier which is sliding backwards I've been there for two years and am nearly at the top of the seniority list in my base. Unfortunately the upgrades aren't going to happen and I am part of the first class on the wrong side of the fence of our merged seniority list. I'm trying to get into charter, walked into quite a few places, have the times, but they keep telling me to come back after I get my ATP. So that's the full story, hope it clears some stuff up