Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
conquestdz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Precarious

Originally Posted by Speed Breaker View Post
I do have both and my ATP. Could you give me some insight as to what it would truly be like for a first year guy there? The more info I can get the better.

How long would I be on reserve? And do you see some flying time while on reserve usually?
What would a first year guy expect to really make to include per diem and everything. (I know you don't have exact, but maybe an average?)
How long is training when I come back? Especially with sim? What is the average cost of housing out there around the training facilities?
When you go out there for the two day class and then go home for 3 weeks, is that paid time? Is it also paid time while we are in training and sim?

Any info is helpful, even it if isn't one of these questions. I really appreciate it!
I was hired mid April last year, finished training in mid July, and was on reserve through December. January was a partial line, Feb and March were CDO lines, and April will be a regular line. I never got within 20 hours of breaking min guarantee during the reserve months. This month I was able to trade out most of my CDO trips and get to about 80 hours. That is not a given though. Last month I wasn't able to swap any. As far as the paycheck on reserve goes, figure 75 hours plus about $150 for per diem each month. You might do better than $150 some months, but others less. If you bring a car up for training you can find a crashpad away from the training center. Or, you can find someone in your training class to share a hotel room with, and just use their shuttle. It is expensive no matter which way you go.