View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
ski fish fly
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2012

I flew in China for just shy of 16 months.

Before I rant, the bottom line is that I would do it again if I had to ... but, I would go back with my eyes wide open. It did beat the heck out of flying in the Middle East.

The perspective offered above is accurate and realistic. Although there might be some companies out there that have "international standard" duty and rest rules, per the Chinese regulations, there are actually ways that they can almost extend your duty day indefinitely.

In many operations, safety is an afterthought. PIC authority is there as long as you do exactly what "management" wants you to do. I had "fights" refusing flights into known icing with inoperable anti ice systems .... calling fatigued at 4am after a 16 hour + duty day ....

I flew with proverbial 200 hour copilots. They're smart kids but they're doing the learning that they should be doing in a Seminole and they have no place in a jet.

That being said .... despite the fact that I'm a small town guy and will be until I die, I enjoyed being an active member of the international community. I was able to get my kids over there for a good bit and the experience for them was priceless ....

Except for predictable pockets, China is mostly third world. If you're thinking about going there expecting it to be like the US, you'll hate it. If you're going there because you have to pay a mortgage, you might like it .... at least until the point where you can get out of there!

The great thing about China .... I have interview stories to last a lifetime!