View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
newKnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 765-A

Originally Posted by buzzpat
Actually, Johnso, IMHO, bringing smaller jets to the company and getting giddy is shortsighted. Do we want to become a regional carrier or do we want to play on the big playground? I understand where you guys are coming from. You are a product of the regionals. Yes, let us absolutely recapture our scope. But, no, let us not get comfortable with settling for that. Again, growing small is not growing big. We should shoot for growing big.
Buzz,

I think the problem with your argument is you assume a recapture of small jet flying necessarily comes at the expense of growing large jets.

I don't think having Delta pilots fly 70 seaters will cost us too many 777 orders. But, on the other hand, when we lobby for approval of slot swaps in LGA, and the company put's 70 seaters on the majority of the routes, we don't scream so much.

If you're worried about the pay, you should probably see by now, it's easier to control pay in negotiations, than it is to reel in scope. I'm willing to bet those 70 seaters have cost mainline pilots way more money than any cut we've ever taken in our pay-rates.

Finally, I think the main advantage of recapturing that smaller flying is we avoid the potential whip-saw between pilot groups whenever a new route is opened. Plus, it's some serious furlough protection.

Personally, I'd take every 70 seater we could get.