View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
DAL 88 Driver
At home on the maddog!

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ATL MD-88A

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
A SID to an ILS. You want something more? As the pavement approaches, gently raise the nose.

If you do a lot of approaches to the same runway, you can shorten your briefing to "do you have any questions?"
It must have been a while since you've done domestic MD-88 type flying. There's a lot of difference between being spoon-fed headings, altitudes, and airspeeds coming into ATL and being able plan your own descent and fly an energy management, efficient approach into someplace like SAV for example. There's also the occasional fun of flying something like the River Visual into DCA.

I can totally understand why someone would get tired of having to do all the ATL legs on a trip. As a Captain, I have almost always done the first leg and then suggested that we do two at a time after that. Most F/O's seem to appreciate it. The trip I'm on right now has a deadhead leg right in the middle... so we're just alternating. The F/O ends up being the ATL guy for the first half of the trip and then I'm the ATL guy for the second half. That works too.